Mk V111 accessory rear slidelock very stiff

Have a question that cannot be answered using the information in the website Members' Area - then post it here...
leppy

Mk V111 accessory rear slidelock very stiff

Post by leppy » March 16th, 2019, 10:58 am

Hi, hope someone can help please. I,m recently back into large format after 50 yrs. I,m trying to fit an MPP 645 back to my Mk V111. The locking slides on both sides are very stiff and will move the camera after I,ve focused and removed the focusing screen. Is there any way to adjust these or is it a matter of cleaning and lubricating. The camera is in lovely condition so pretty sure it,s not because of damage.

IanG

Re: Mk V111 accessory rear slidelock very stiff

Post by IanG » March 17th, 2019, 9:03 am

I'd take the sliders off and clean them and the washers, make sure you re-assemble correctly. If you have to lubicate then just very lightly, often I mix machine oil with some alchol (IPA) and juts add a spot with a fine paint brush or seeker.

Ian

leppy

Post by leppy » March 17th, 2019, 11:43 am

Thanks for that. I can't see any fixings for the sliders. Are there screws under the two leatherette strips.

IanG

Post by IanG » March 19th, 2019, 9:26 am

Yes there's screws under the leatherette, under the slider covers it should be a fairly typical Graflok type back. I'm used to the MkVII, Pacemaker Graphics, and similar Graflok backs. The only MkVIII I've worked on had no problems with the sliders, I've just seen a photo of an MPP MkVIII for sale and one of the 4 bits of the leatherette is missing showing the screw.

It may well just be a bit of oxidation on the washers, I'd probably try some lubrication first but very carefully.

Ian

leppy

Post by leppy » March 20th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Hi Ian,
Thanks very much for the advice. Cleaned the sliders first using a semi stiff artists brush and IPA, then lubricated with a spot of 3 in 1 and IPA mixed together. Worked them a few times and it worked a treat. Thanks again

Frank